Thursday, 31 May 2012

Between The Sheets With Nik Kershaw - Not For The First Time, Either.

Imagine, if you will, a tall, skinny girl with red hair. Almost fifteen, and it's the mid eighties. She's not in the 'in crowd' this girl. There's a lot of listening to music, writing angst poetry, and reading magazines, with a particular penchant for the agony columns. She sent a poem off to a magazine and that was her first ever publication.

Obviously, I'm talking about me above. Yes, my first ever publication was at the age of 15. I've written about it in detail in another blog post, but Nik Kershaw was on the front of that magazine, which was amazing to me at the time - I loved his music, and he was... you know... a boy. Ooh!

Anyway, fast forward to today, and I've a 100 word story included in a book with Nik Kershaw on the front. Even better, he's written in it too.

This book is the brainchild of the delightful and incredibly talented Caroline Smailes, who put out a call for submissions for 100 word stories inspired by videos on YouTube.

I realised instantly that I'd need something quirky to be in with a chance of getting published in a collection like this. As much as I love a good lyric, I actually picked a song that I struggle to sing along with. You will probably recognise the tune from a certain rip off English version of the song but the original is vastly superior, even if you don't know what he's going on about.


It was the video that inspired my story, My Morning Cappuccino. I think you'll be able to guess why, when you read it.


Imagine, if you will a child today. A child who doesn't say much, but lives in fear. A child who has suffered at the hands of others. This child needs someone to turn to. The charity One in Four helps people who are sexually abused. Think about that title - One in Four.

All profits from sales of this book are going to One in Four. I am so proud to be a part of it.

Buy your copy now from:  




3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your second Nik-covered publication Rebecca!!! I am old enough to (vaguely) remember Nik :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking forward to this release. My Kindle is happy.

    ReplyDelete