Friday, 19 February 2010

Poem: Images

Writing: the Inner Voice that is Always Present

Yesterday, someone actually said to me, "So, have you given up on the writing?"

I laughed to myself. I was sitting in the living room with three children who were playing, laughing, and randomly yelling, and I'm meant to be writing at that precise moment? I think not. But the question did fuel my thoughts, and I am sure I am not alone when I say that I have always wanted to write. I always *have* written. From a very young age, poems, stories, and countless letters, during weekends and school holidays, to my friends. Daily outpourings of emotions, feelings and ideas.

These memories led to me digging out some of my old poetry. And for your viewing pleasure, I'm going to share my one and only piece of published poetry.

Does anyone else remember "Blue Jeans"? I *loved* that magazine. Even more so when it published my poem back in 1986. The year that the magazine cost a mere 26p "including VAT", and when contributors to the letters page received a cheque for a whopping £2.00. To my 14 year old self, back then, this felt like a small fortune. But seeing the paper money in my hand was nothing in comparison to the fact that they had printed my poem. A poem that I wrote in a minute or two, fuelled by the agony that was the loss of my maternal Grandad.

The only thing that annoyed me was they edited a couple of words. But there you go; as a writer, you have to accept that editing is going to happen.

Please see below then, dear readers, my adolescent work. Remember though, it was written a long, long time ago:



8 comments:

  1. Rebecca, that is so lovely, a lot better than any of my teenage efforts, so funny that you put that up today, I just posted a 'dear 16 year old me' blog, we all must be feeling nostalgic this week,
    Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant what a great post. I'd forgotten about that magazine until now. Great photo of Nik Kershaw. Well done on getting your poem published, £2 was a huge amount of money back then. I once had a poem published in RailRiders magazine, not as glam as Blue Jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - we are all off down memory lane this week. Whats going on?

    Rebecca this is lovely. The poem is great and also the cover of the magazine... although by 1986 I was reading Jackie Collins novels on the train/or brand new DART to work. Off now to find my slippers and make myself a cup of Complan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a delight of a poem, your emotions shone through. Memories, gosh 1986 I was in the situation you are in today, three children playing and no me time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely poem!

    It's funny the things people sya huh, as though you should be chained to a desk with ink stains up your hands to prove you are writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, get you, published! ;-)
    I read this today, I love what Zadie Smith says about being a writer:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/20/10-rules-for-writing-fiction-part-two
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecca,
    Came across your blog through another writer's. I'm a children's writer myself. This is a great poem and very mature for a teenager! Wish my musings were as good as that when I was a young 'un. Olive

    ReplyDelete
  8. ... remember it was writing a long time ago?

    It stands up to the test of time very well: you can be proud of that!

    ReplyDelete